We are looking forward to developing the new Health and Well-being Area of Learning and Experience as part of the new curriculum for Wales.
This Area of Learning and Experience is about the physical, psychological, emotional and social aspects of our lives. It recognises good health and well-being as a key enabler of successful learning. The aim is to support learners to develop and maintain not only their physical health and well-being, but also their mental health and emotional well-being, as well as developing positive relationships in a range of contexts.
To enable this, it will build learners’ capacity to make informed decisions about their health and well-being and also to engage critically with a range of social influences which may impact on their values and behaviours.
Here are the 'What matters' statements that we focus on for this area of Learning:
- Developing physical health and well-being has lifelong benefits.
- How we process and respond to our experiences affects our mental health and emotional well-being.
- Our decision-making impacts on the quality of our lives and the lives of others.
- How we engage with different social influences shapes who we are and our health and well-being.
- Healthy relationships are fundamental to our sense of belonging and well-being.
All pupils are taught the importance of healthy living through food and fitness. Lessons include Play to Learn, gymnastics, dance, athletics, games and adventurous activities. We have also developed many 'Pupil Leadership' groups that focus on Health and well being.